Job Summary A steel fabricator creates and assembles metal products that would be used in the construction of buildings, bridges, automobiles, ships and airplanes. The steel fabricator ensures that the metal parts would fit perfectly with each other and conforms to the specified sizes and thicknesses.
The responsibilities for this job vary. While many steel fabricators is focus in the production of small metal components needed in electronic equipments, others specialize in the production of large metal panels and connecting it together with fasteners or welding. Basic Tasks: • Operates fabricating machines, such as brakes, rolls, shears, flame cutters, and drill presses.
• Bends and straighten metal by hammering, chipping and grinding it.
• Uses hand torch or furnace to pre-heat workpieces.
• Fits and welds metal parts together.
• Designs and creates templates and fixtures.
• Checks if a workpiece meets the specifications by using square, ruler, and measuring tape.
• May fabricate and assemble sheet metal products.
• May set up and operate machine tools associated with fabricating shops, such as radial drill press, end mill, and edge planer.
Oct 01, 2018